<VV> Performance workshop

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:06:46 EST

All gear heads,

   It was great to get 60 or so genetically deficient people together to
share our cabin fever.
   We owe Gary Funkhouser and Dan Giannotti a big thanks for making this
happen. Dan organized the affair and Gary provided the facilities and a formally
catered lunch.  Big time stuff. The restroom even had hand lotion---ritzy.
   I have to believe that this was a historic occasion. Judging by the
cameras and video recorders on hand , others thought so also.
   The best part of the gathering was the individual introductions which
allowed us to put faces to famous and infamous internet names.
   We had loads of interesting cars to look at: Dave Deidrich's immaculately
restored Stinger was on display on the lift. Dan Giannotti's newly acquired
all tube car was undressed and available for inspection. Rob Fike had his
Midwestern Council champion car there. There was also a drag car.
   I learned something from looking at every car.
    There were overflowing vendor parts on the tables and much picture info
on other cars including a sand rail dragster which covers th 1/8 in less than 3
seconds. There was much exotic stuff on the drool covered tables.
  Interesting tech sessions were provided by several people: including Jim
Schardt (driving tips) , Nick Olsen (carburetion), Ray Clayton (dyno time) ,
Warren LeVeque (Pig Racing) , and many others whose names escape my overloaded
mind. Please feel free to fill in the blanks.
   I especially enjoyed the dyno figures and tips from developing a naturally
aspirated non-nox 300 hp corvair dragracing engine( 8 seconds) . I guess the
sand rail was nearer 500 hp with 20 psi and nox. but for only 3 seconds.
  Future events were discussed including: The convention drag race June
14,and convention autocross, Lime Rock and Pocono time trials, and the Aug. 30
racers reunion at Beaver Run raceway.
   New this year is the Hershey VintageHill Climb, May 1, 2 3, which at least
.
Mark Gilispie, Jeff Rapp, Michael and Warren LeVeque will be attending.,
The always tentative plan is for Mark and Michael to drive Mark's  vintage
prepared YS 037 , Jeff to drive his ITA Corvair and me to drive the '64 Sports
Racer. Car swapping will likely occur. Every one  is invited to come and root
for us.
   New cars acquisitions were announced:  Dan's tube frame car, Tim Mahler
got the previous # 3 car. Michael LeVeque has YS 045 and I obtained (as a
roller) the Bill Thomas /Doug Roe, orange dragracer/road racer/ hill climb car which
is featured in the "How to Hot Rod Corvairs" and Mcinnes "Turbocharging"
books..
   It was great to be able to socialize with others of similar insane
interests and get my winter racing fix.
   Some of you shy fellows ( no females there) please fill us in on what I
forgot to report on.

Warren, and entire LeVair team.