<VV> Top Cover Bolt Finally Removed

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:15:00 -0500

My usual approach is to rub RTV gasket sealant by finger into the gaskets,
putting a thin, tacky film on them.  So far, knock on wood, I haven't had
any problems with leaks or bits of RTV coming loose and getting into the oil.

Here's another sealant you might consider.  While perusing the Pegasus
racing parts catalog (PegasusAutoRacing.com) I came across Hylomar and
Wellseal sealants.  These are listed as flange seals, "perfect for sealing
gearbox covers or any other parts that need to be disassembled easily and
without a lot of scraping to clean up the residue."  Seals gaps to 0.010"
and never hardens.  "...is an excellent gasket dressing..."  I'm going to
give it a try next time I build an engine.

You may also want to use some self locking bolts.  Clarks sells "shake
proof" bolts -- basically they have serrated undersurfaces on their heads
that bite into the cover aluminum.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo