<VV> Nader and Corvair

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:34:40 -0500

>While this is very much about the Corvair, it is also very political, which
>is generally verboten on this list.  However, I think that a political
>discussion that places the Corvair at its center, as this article does, is
>worthwhile.  Don't use it as a jumping-off point for discussing Bush or
>Gore or Kerry or Rumsfeld or Schwartzenegger or whomever else in the
>political arena.  Just read it for what it is:  A look at Ralph Nader and
>his basic foundation, "Unsafe at Any Speed" and the Corvair.

While I agree that pure politics are best not discussed on VV, there is a very clear linkage between politics
and the old car hobby in general. One of the primary purposes of car clubs in general are not only to
promote the specific marque, but to actively try to protect the hobby from legislation that would injure it.

So in my opinion (for what it's worth), I will go one further and say that a political discussion that places the
old car hobby at its center should also be acceptable in a forum such as this. While that may make some
people uncomfortable (because they may support an anti-car candidate/party for other reasons more
important to them personally), I think it's worthwhile to know which platforms support our hobby and which
platforms threaten it so that everyone can make an informed decision.

http://www.sema.org/content/?id=25225

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD