<VV> Re:trailering a corvair

Dewey Thomas decothom@cox.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:32:13 -0600

Matt / Mike /Bill / and  list--I do NOT tie down to any front suspension /
steering components ; but do wrap chain / strap(s) / rope or ?? around the
front cross-member (solid structure). Now, in the rear-granted ,you are
somewhat limited-the lower control arms are probably as good as any ;unless,
you remove the rear grille (which is what I do)  then wrap chain ------
"whatever" ,up and around the engine mount structure-it isn't easy , but
do-able . I use nothing but chains (5/16 or 3/8 dia link) and "boomers" to
take out all slack. Make sure the trailer has STRUCTURAL anchors.   No
flames--that's just the way I do it--to each his own. By the way Matt ,you
forget ,in a crash scenario the loads get quite high-that 2500 lbs suddenly
goes "asymptotic"(way up there)!! (ggg)     Dewey