<VV> RE: Nader and Corvair

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:17:01 -0600

The logic (and facts) are as follows:
  -- Nader writes book
  -- GM tries to smear him and gets caught
  -- GM smear attempt gets Ralphie and his book a lot of notice
  -- Law suits are filed as a result of the book
  -- GM decides to keep the Corvair in production longer than planned to
avoid looking like it had been killed due to defects.
  -- Corvair is killed after 6,000 are built in 1969, long after the
originally planned production end date.

Thanks for my '69 Ralph!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: RoboMan91324@aol.com [mailto:RoboMan91324@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 5:03 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; Dave Keillor
Subject: Nader and Corvair

HUH??  I fail to see the logic in this statement.  How was "Ralphie" in any
way responsible for the '69 (or any other year) Corvair?  If you are saying
that his book influenced the development of the LM with its improved
suspension, that wasn't the case.  The LM preexisted the "Unsafe at any
Speed" book which was first printed in 1965, I believe.  The design of the
LM certainly started well before the book was printed.

DOC
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop