<VV> Turbo and Dual exhausts [LONG]

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:51:55 EST

Jim,
       Personally, I've always felt that the small YH carb is far more
restrictive to increases in boost than is the stock exhaust system downstream of the
turbo.  Someday, when I get the EFI installed on my 180 with a different
throttle body but with the stock exhaust system, I'll find out.  Before then, I'll
install a vacuum gauge downstream of the YH (upstream of the compressor) to
find out just how restrictive the stock YH is.  I remember somebody (perhaps
Bob Helt??) quoted the figure of 7 in. Hg. vacuum downstream of the smaller YH
on the 150 engine.  I think the old "hot rod" rule of thumb with carbureted
engines was to have somewhere in the range of 1/2 in.Hg. to 1-1/2 in.Hg. at full
load.  Anymore than that and the carb was felt to be too restrictive and a
major limiting factor in the quest for more power.
       Before you make any changes related to increasing boost pressure, be
sure to install (even temporarily) a REAL boost pressure gauge.  The stock one
that came with the Spyder/Corsa was grossly inadequate even when it was brand
new.  Now after 40 years, you're lucky if you can get it to show ANYTHING in
the boost range, much less an actual numerical value!  You want a gauge that
has divisions for EVERY single psi of boost, some have divisions for every 1/2
psi.  Incidentally, if it shows in.Hg (inches of mercury) that's OK since 2
in.Hg is equal to 1 psi.
       Years ago, when I used a simple big Sears "tune-up" gauge, I was able
to see the result of insulating the exhaust pipes upstream of the turbo.
Driving the same long uphill run on the way to work, the boost increased from 8
psi to 10 psi AND the boost "came up" much more quickly.  The disadvantage was
that the 90 degree bend in the crossover DISINTEGRATED after about 6 months.
The metallurgist at work, after his examination, said it was from
overtemperature, not corrosion.  I also noticed that the crossover-to-manifold bolts had
loosened on both sides, due to the greater expansion than normal of the
crossover pipe from that same overtemperature.
       Anyway, the important thing is to measure BEFORE making changes then
when you measure AFTER the changes, you'll really know the result.
       Frank "measure before changes" Burkhard