<VV> Ralph and the lawsuits

Wrsssatty@aol.com Wrsssatty@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:27:01 EST

I've noticed that a couple of folks have posted here recently suggesting that
Mr. Nader's book, "Unsafe At Any Speed" prompted the Corvair lawsuits against
GM.  The publicity the book (and GM's private "eye" response) engendered may
well have prompted more lawsuits but the truth is the lawsuits began long
before the book was written.  Remember, "exhibit A" in Ralph's Corvair chapter was
GM's settlement of the Pierini case.  A couple of years ago Ralph spoke at a
junior college here in New Jersey and I had the opportunity to speak with him
personally while he autographed one of my copies of "Unsafe" (a friend and
colleague had him sign another copy for me years ago).  He confirmed my suspicion
that the Corvair controversy first came to his attention when he was
contacted by the L.A. law firm that filed the lion's share of the lawsuits.  Ralph had
been writing on the subject of auto safety for years in virtual obscurity
never once mentioning (or knowing) anything about the Corvair.  The attorneys who
were filing the Corvair lawsuits became aware of Ralph's interest in auto
safety and contacted him apprising him of their allegations regarding the
Corvair.  So, the book didn't prompt the lawsuits, the lawsuits prompted the book (or
at least the notorious Corvair chapter).

Bill Stanley