<VV> Attn 1964 and 65 owners. I need help on 1964 and 65 Fisher bodytag codes.

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:02:52 -0500

Dave,

Most of these codes have already been deciphered.  I'm not so sure why you
want to know about Corvairs with single speed wipers, non-padded dashes, and
rear seat belts, as none of these were options that would show on the body
tag.  Of course, confirming the absence of any code for these items might be
what you are looking for.  A few group 4 and five codes remain a bit
mysterious (to me), and the problem is complicated by the fact that front
seat belts were optional at the start of the 1964 model year but became
standard mid year.  Finally, remember that the codes for 1964 are not
precisely the same as for 1965, due to certain body changes.  For instance,
to add a radio to a 1964 means to also add the radio housing.

Keep in mind that these codes were put there by Fisher Body, to help build
the body.  At the time of body construction, there is no powertrain and no
rear crossmember, because these were installed as a unit at the Chevrolet
Assembly plant.  Hence, any codes referring to the powertrain
(engine/transmission) on the body plate were more likely there because the
body needed some particular parts in order to accept that powertrain.  For
example, a 2L code for 4-speed transmission told the Fisher body lineman to
install a 4-speed shift lever instead of a three-speed, whereas the 2M code
would indicate a powerglide cable, different main and dash harnesses, no
clutch pedal and cable, etc.

In terms of the radio, it is a bit more confusing.  First thing the lineman
needs to know is, radio or no radio.  If no radio, then for '64 (first year
this code scheme was used) you would not install the radio housing, and for
'65+ you would install the radio delete plate in the dash.  Otherwise, if
there is a radio, you need codes to tell you which radio (manual or
pushbutton) and which antenna (front, rear or rear electric) and rear
speaker(yes/no).  Assuming that an absent radio code can mean one thing
(perhaps manual radio with front antenna), then I figure a minimum of 3
additional codes are needed (?=radio delete, P=pushbutton radio, S=rear
antenna, T=rear electric antenna, R=rear speaker).  Since radio delete is
not a common option found in collected cars, it is not surprising that code
is currently unknown.  Perhaps one of our members with a known radio delete
option could read his body tag for the group?

Several of the FPOs such as radios, comfort and convenience group, and air
conditioning, were also available as dealer options and as such the cars
would be lacking the Fisher body code.  Not likely that a dealer would have
installed a padded dash, though, especially in a '64.

Anyway, here is the list of codes as I currently have them.  Others (Patrick
Zeman, Rad Davis, Stan East, etc.) have also been working on this project.
Let me know what your results look like, if you please.

First Group ( no numeric indicator)  [all having to do with windshield
somehow]
E = RPO A01 Tinted Glass ( Soft Ray glass in all windows)
D = RPO C06 Power Top (Manual top standard, no indicator)
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

2 = Second Group (Build Sheet location 2) [having to do with
underbody/controls/wiring]
E = RPO C60 Air Conditioning
L = RPO M20 4 Speed
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic
P = RPO Z01 convenience group ( 2 sp wipers, washers, day/night inside
mirror, glove box lamp)
R = RPO U80 Rear spk.
S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
T = RPO U75 Power Rear antenna

3 = Third Group (Build Sheet location 3) [dash]
C = Padded Dash.

4 = Fourth Group (Build Sheet location 4) [instrument panel]
F = RPO Z13 convenience group (not available with 2P but includes all 2P
options plus remote door mirror)
P = Pushbutton Radio?
O = RPO L87 Turbo engine (actually probably for Spyder/CORSA dash)
U = ?? Maybe Radio Delete?

5 = Fifth Group (Build Sheet location 5) [Seat Belts, other special
options?]
O=
V=
W = A49 Custom Deluxe Type seat belts (Interior color-coordinated buckles
with Fisher Body Emblem and retractors) - late 1964
Y =
L =

Bill Hubbell