<VV> Early Wheel Question...

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:44:50 EST

MC - Without wheelwell mods, you are pretty much stuck with tires that are
not much taller than the stock ones. About 24 inches. A wheel wider than 6 or
(maybe) 6.5 inches will fit, depending on the backspace - closer to stock the
better. There is no reason a 14 or 15 diameter wheel can't be used - But a 15"
wheel, and a 24" max diameter means the tire has to be about a 195/60-15 or so.
If you go to a 14" wheel, still with a 6" max width, a 195/65-14 tire is
about 24" tall. ( I don't think you can cram a 7" width wheel under the stock
wheelwell. If the tire is a lot wider than stock, you run into contact problems.
If you get wheels that are less backspace than stock (these look "deeper" from
the front) the wheel will contact the wheelwell when turning. I think that the
14 x 6 wheel with a 196/65-14 tire looks nice, costs a reasonable amount and
should clear everything. The wheels from a 240Z Datsun - aftermarket wheels
destined for the Z really will fit fine, if the backspace is reasonable. - Seth
Emerson