<VV> Attn 1964 and 65 owners. I need help on 1964 and 65

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:57:14 -0500

Keith,

As I said in my earlier post, the codes may not mean exactly the same thing
from one model year to the next.  I do know that for every 1964 I have ever
looked at, the "3C" code means padded dash and the "2P" code means RPO Z01
convenience group.  The  "4P" code is not one I have seen on 1964 models, so
it may be specific to 1965 models.  It is possible that the other two codes
mean different things for 1964 and 1965 also.  With as many differences as
there are between the two years, it would not surprise me to learn that many
of the codes have different meanings.  Radio codes (if they existed at all)
are particularly problematic to solve, since the radio could have been
added, deleted, or changed at the dealership (or later) and thus the codes
would not match.

As for your code, you list a "1" in front of the "2", but I have never seen
a number "1" in the accessory code before (first group was not labeled as
such), so that is confusing, to say the least.  Has anybody else ever seen a
"1" in this position before (on a 1965)?

Some of the guesses for the "4U" code include Wood steering wheel and or
tele-column.  Does yours have either?

As for your "5W" code, remember the seat belts are quite different between
1964 and 1965 models, and I can only vouch for this code as it pertains to
late 1964 models (after front belts became standard).  For instance, I have
3 late 1964 cars (Build dates 04A, 03C, 04D) with "5W" in the tag, and all
had the deluxe style seat belt, but my "early" 1964 convertible (build date
09C) has "5V" with deluxe belts - before belts became standard.

Following my signature are the specs on these 4 cars.  Note that all cars
had radios, but I cannot identify any codes pertaining to the radios.  At
least one car had a non-pushbutton radio and the others appear to have
pushbutton radios.  As I said before, though, who knows who put these radios
in the car.

Bill Hubbell

Car #1 = "Alice" (my Factory Stock Restored Sedan) Azure Aqua w/Aqua
interior
   Serial # 40969W237876
  Original Equipment: Tinted Windshield, Powerglide, Convenience Group Z01
Padded Dash, Deluxe Seat Belts

Body Plate Data:
General Motors Corporation
04A
Style 64 0969 WR 16586 BODY
TRIM 755               918   PAINT
   W2MP3C5W                    A

---------------------------
Car #2 = "Mr. Poop" (another sedan) Ember Red w/Black interior
  Serial # 40969W224777
  Original Equipment: Fully tinted (softray) Glass, A/C, Powerglide,
Convenience Group Z13, Deluxe Seat Belts

Body Plate Data:
General Motors Corporation
03C
Style 64 0969 WR 15189 BODY
TRIM 712               922   PAINT
   E2EM4F5W                    E

---------------------------
Car #3="Butt Ugly" (Coupe) Goldwood Yellow w/Black interior
  Serial #40927W167781
  Original Equipment: Tinted Windshield, 4-Speed, Convenience Group Z01,
Rear
Antenna, Padded Dash, Deluxe Seat Belts

Body Plate Data:
General Motors Corporation
04D
Style 64 0927 WR 68507 BODY
TRIM 712               943   PAINT
   W2LPS3C5W                  E

---------------------------
Car #4="Glenn" (Convertible) Cypress Green/Beige Top/Fawn interior
  Serial #40967W112278
  Original Equipment: Fully tinted (softray) Glass, A/C, Powerglide,Rear
Antenna,Padded Dash,
Convenience Group Z13, Deluxe Seat Belts

Body Plate Data:
General Motors Corporation
09C
Style 64 0967 BODY WR 1831