<VV> 1964 & 1965 Option Codes

Dale K. Dewald dkdewald@up.net
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:33:11 -0500

Hello Bill,

We are the second owners of a 1965 '500' sedan (mid year production) that
had an interesting combination of options and which had not been modified
in any way. The options are:
1) 110 hp engine
2) PG transmission
3) Positraction
4) Deluxe front seat belts

The body codes are:  2M5W

Where 2M = PG transmission and 5W = Deluxe seat belts w/ retractors

There was no radio in the car--just a blank off plate.  I would suggest
that the U code either specified some other type of radio (manual tune?) or
possibly a radio prep package (speaker and wiring perhaps) for later radio
selection by the dealer.

I also have a 1965 turbo coupe (I'm the 3rd owner--engine fire in 1972,
then sat in warehouse 30 yrs) that is complete (except for destroyed turbo
and carb).  I can read the codes, note options and report back later.  BTW
this car is for sale.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI

Bill Hubbell wrote:
<snip>
>In terms of the radio, it is a bit more confusing.  First thing the lineman
>needs to know is, radio or no radio.  If no radio, then for '64 (first year
>this code scheme was used) you would not install the radio housing, and for
>'65+ you would install the radio delete plate in the dash.  Otherwise, if
>there is a radio, you need codes to tell you which radio (manual or
>pushbutton) and which antenna (front, rear or rear electric) and rear
>speaker(yes/no).  Assuming that an absent radio code can mean one thing
>(perhaps manual radio with front antenna), then I figure a minimum of 3
>additional codes are needed (?=radio delete, P=pushbutton radio, S=rear
>antenna, T=rear electric antenna, R=rear speaker).  Since radio delete is
>not a common option found in collected cars, it is not surprising that code
>is currently unknown.  Perhaps one of our members with a known radio delete
>option could read his body tag for the group?
---