<VV> Emergency Brake Cable

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:56:00 -0500

Removing the e-brake cable from the backing plate takes patience and
persistence. What works for me is to get a small hose clamp and tighten it
down over the prongs that retain the end of the sheath in the plate. You
want the clamp tight enough to hold the prongs in, but loose enough that you
can push (or pull - or both) the end through the clamp and the hole in the
backing plate. Cleaning up and lubricating the outer diameter of the prongs
obviously can help.
     Replace any/all/every damp wheel cylinder you see.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of John Green
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 8:14 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Emergency Brake Cable

Could someone please tell me how I remove the emergency brake cable from the
backing plate at the wheel? I am replacing the rear bearing assemblies in my
late model and cannot see how the emergency cable is removed.

Related to this, I have noticed that the wheel cylinder is a little damp.
Should I replace this while I am at it?