<VV> 1964 and 1965 body code data (Long post)

corsa corsa@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:18:03 -0800

I just wanted to share some of the ideas I have been sharing on the 64-65
bodytag codes thread I started. Seems like we may be able to find some new
codes, eliminate some mislabeled codes and maybe make some sense with  the
Fisher bodycode for these years.
    Please send or post any input you have on 65 model bodytag codes. This
group effort may yield some gold. Already the decoding has taken a new
direction, and way of thinking in regards to how Fisher may have coded the
options. The more responses, the larger the sample size. Please send your
body codes and list of options for both 64 and 65

Heres my original email:

    I'm sure glad I started this thread on the 64-65 bodytag codes! Getting
lots of good info and weeding out some of the bad info. I'm also very happen
with the response of the group on this.
    I looked in my JPGs of bodytags of 1965 cars and this is what I found
regarding the other codes in group 5.
I have 36 pictures of 1965 bodytags in my collection. I found no bodytags
with the letters Y, V, or O in group 5 on any of the tags. I have 5 surveys
and none of them have those letters either. That makes a total of  41 cars.
Only one car out of 41 had the "L" code. Actually the picture is a little
grainy but it looks like a "L". It definitely not a "W". Now unless we get
some people verifying these other codes, I think they may have not been
used. One item does puzzle me. Although I did not find a group 5 "O" code in
my bodytag collection, I have a 65 built sheet, I found in a set of seats I
bought, that has a  "O" and  "L" in the group 5 box.  So there may be an "O"
code, it must be pretty rare since I have not seen it in 41 examples of
bodytags. Also I checked the bodytag website you linked and I can say with
alot of certainty that "L"  cannot be bumper guards since my current Corsa
came with bumper guards and does not have "L" in group 5. I think they are
factory installed but I could not swear to that. Anyway there should have be
more that one car out of 41 with factory bumperguards I believe. Also this
code should have carried over to the 66 model year if they indeed were
bumper guards since bumper guards were not made standard in 66. The extra
code ("O" or "L") could be for optional rear belts since I don't think
different 2 styles were available. Does anyone out there have the option
rear seat belts in their 1965 model?
    So I think so far that there are only 2 codes confirmed in group 5, a
"W" and a "L". There also may have been a "O" code, but I have only seen it
on the build sheet of the Monza coupe I found in the seat. It was not a 500
model so it was not a 500 option code only.  I'm forwarding this to Dave
Newell. Dave have you found any other codes besides "W" and "L" in your
bodytag collection and data?

    Also did the 65 Corvair have two different seat belt style options? I
don't have that information. All the 65's I've ever owned had either the
chrome buckle or no belts. Unless you can confirm that they did.......I
think from the evidence, it appears that the optional seatbelts had only one
style with chrome buckles and the code "W" in group 5. (That is what is on
my 65 Corsa).  It appears that No upgraded seat belts like the 66 were
offered in 1965 models. Then when seatbelts became standard in 1966, they
dropped the "W" in group 5 for the earlier belt, put a redesign cheaper belt
in as standard front and rear, and created a new upgraded belt as an option.
This belt is coded "Y" in the 66 codes since it is a new "upgrade belt"
compared to the 1965 models and there are no other codes in group 5 this
year. Does that make sense or am I going to get blown out of the water
because there is a lower version of belts available to the 65 models. At
least I don't see two different style belts offered in the original 1965
factory options list.  Someone out there have a upgraded belt from the
chrome buckle type ( coded"W") that has the "Y" code???

    I also discovered a new option code you guys have not heard of before.
When investigating the early Van Nuys bodytags for the 3 digit body built
date , I found the code "O" in group 1. It was found only on Convertibles,
and I think I can say with some certainty that it was to represent manual
top on only the first LA built cars. The sample size is small with only five
LA convertibles from this period, but the four convertibles with manual tops
had the "O" code and the convertible with the powertop had the "O" code
replaced by a "D" code. I happen to own that car. Apparently Fisher at Van
Nuys was experimenting around a little bit with the bodytags early in the 65
model year with the "O" code and 3 digit build date. By the way, the 3 digit
built date is only on Sept 64 built cars.
    Thanks for the input guys, and sorry about the overwhelming amount of
info I'm sending your way Dave!! I can't help it, I'm having to much fun.

Bigwave Dave Trull

Hoping to unify the basic codes from 64-66