<VV> Advanced Timing

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:21:03 EST

In a message dated 3/9/04 10:43:11 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
gary62@ix.netcom.com writes:

> have a 65 Monza convertible with powerglide that does something odd.
> 4-5 months after setting the timing (to about 14 degrees BTDC) the timing
> becomes advanced and the car starts pinging (clattering).  I reset the
> timing and each time after about 4-5 months it starts clattering
> again.  When I check the timing it is advanced again.  The distributor
> hold down bolt is always still tight when I go to reset the timing so
> that doesn't appear to be the problem.  Does anyone know why it does this
> or what could be causing the timing to keep advancing?.  The car
> continues to run strong/well with no problems.  FYI., I drive the car
> quite a bit (especially in the non-Summer months) and put about 7,000
> miles a year on it. Thanks!   --- GARY READORE---

Gary,
Is the distributor body actually turning when the timing advances itself?  If
not, are you retiming it by rotating the distributor? What is the position of
the VA before and after? Isn't the VA going to hit something?

Are you sure that it is the timing and not a slipping harmonic damper?
Regards,
Bob Helt