<VV> Throttle Body FI

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:16:05 EST

<snip>
Has anyone tried to adapt a Throttle Body Fuel Injection system to a Vair ?
Thanks, Rodney Sampson
<unsnip>

Hi Rodney.  I did see a throttle-body FI Corvair at a couple of outingss in
the Pacific Northwest.  It is an early convertible.  Perhaps someone on the
list knows the owner's name?  What was interesting was that the builder stuck
with the stock corvair distributor.  The plugs for the electronic distributor
pickup and module were connected to a module and pickup, but the parts were  just
sitting on the rear rail.  The TB was on a two-into-one center-mount
manifold.  It seemed to be working OK as the car was driven to the meets.

I imagine this approach would have the same kinds of low end driveability
issues as a center mount carb, but I could be mistaken about that.  The
distributor approach the guy took was novel and would save a bunch of effort.  The
electronic HEI distributor can be done at any time later.

A couple of us here on VV have speculated that a twin TB approach would be
the slickest way to go, but this has not been tried to my knowledge.  Our VV
speculations about twin TBI are written down in Bob Helt's book "The Classic
Corvair".  The MPFI digital system (mine) and 280Z Analog system (Milt Binion's)
are also covered there.

Good luck and don't be shy about sharing your ideas!
Craig Nicol
66 Monza 140 EFI
65 Corsa 140 EFI