<VV> Pinion turning torque

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:49:26 EST

<snip> I seem to have the backlash and contact pattern right, but I am
confused
about the "pinion turning torque." <unsnip>
Charles,
I always set the pinion to about the same preload as the side bearings. The
side bearings are specified at "two to three" notches beyond "just touching"
but I am uncomfortable with the preload generated by three notches, so I go with
the minimum on the side sleeves.  I go with 1.5 to 2 notches on the pinion
because each notch on the pinion sleeve represents a little more rotation than a
notch on the larger side adjusting sleeve.

I have never understood why GM was so scientific with the pinion preload when
the side bearings are similar and operated in the same environment and
"notches" were specified for their adjustment.  At any rate,  one and a half or two
notches seems to work well for the pinion preload.
Craig Nicol