<VV> Learned something...

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:12:34 -0500

Barry,
	As you found out, wood is not good.

"I thought I had a good idea on a tool to substitute for a long screw driver
end, or a disassembled distributor, which I had neither off."

Since you know the right way, for others:  The way to do this, is to strip
an old distributor down to the bare shaft-with or without housing.  Insert
in drill and turn in the correct direction until you have what you feel is
sufficient oil pressure.  I think until the oil runs out of the push rod
tubes.  If everything is buttoned up, you cannot see this, so I run with oil
pressure for several minutes.  Does load up the drill.

An alternative approach is cut the handle off an old or cheap screw driver
and use that in a drill-like a 1/2" drill which has the power to turn the
oil pump with pressure for a decent interval.

Chuck S
YS73
BBRT

-----Original Message-----
From: BEllison@bbafiberweb.com [mailto:BEllison@bbafiberweb.com]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 10:48 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Learned something...

I learned a 1+ hour lesson last night, that I want to share.

I took a wooden dowel, puchased from lowe's leftover from another project,
about 1/2" diameter, cut to length, and ground a slot at one end using the
bench grinder, made it look like the

Must have held the trigger just a bit long.  I felt it get a little harder,
and was thinking, "that's a lot of pressure for the distributor to push"
when all of a sudden, whack, twist, and I release the trigger.  <insert
expletive here>  The wooden dowel completely twisted apart, just inside the
distributor hole, leaving all kinds of splinters everywhere.  double <insert
expletive here>

I had to pull the harmonic balancer, and rear cover to get it all back out,
and lost the fresh oil, too.  Waaaaah!  Just further and further behind.

So, IF I ever use a wooden dowel again, it'll be OAK, and I'll go MUCH
slower, bump, bump, bump.