<VV> Learned something...

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:47:43 -0500

I learned a 1+ hour lesson last night, that I want to share.

I'm almost ready to install my engine.  (I'm actually getting excited about
it)  I wanted to run the oil pump, to pump up the oil pressure, before I
attempted to start it.  I thought I had a good idea on a tool to substitute
for a long screw driver end, or a disassembled distributor, which I had
neither off.

I took a wooden dowel, puchased from lowe's leftover from another project,
about 1/2" diameter, cut to length, and ground a slot at one end using the
bench grinder, made it look like the distributor tip.  Put the drill motor
on slow (it's not variable, just two speed).  Tested a few times, heard
some, glub, glub, as it drained everywhere, no leaks seen, etc.

Must have held the trigger just a bit long.  I felt it get a little harder,
and was thinking, "that's a lot of pressure for the distributor to push"
when all of a sudden, whack, twist, and I release the trigger.  <insert
expletive here>  The wooden dowel completely twisted apart, just inside the
distributor hole, leaving all kinds of splinters everywhere.  double <insert
expletive here>

I had to pull the harmonic balancer, and rear cover to get it all back out,
and lost the fresh oil, too.  Waaaaah!  Just further and further behind.

So, IF I ever use a wooden dowel again, it'll be OAK, and I'll go MUCH
slower, bump, bump, bump.

Barry

Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.