<VV> MSD distrbutor -

Chris Conner conn110@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:37:48 -0700

I see that Seth has already attempted to get MSD to build a Corvair
distributor. I had also been under the impression that Mallory stopped
making their Corvair unit. With that, I'll let this idea drop. If they
have no interest in the idea, I have no interest talking to them about
it. Such is life. I'll stick with my Pertronix and have Dale rebuild mine
at some point.

Chris Conner

65 Monza 'vert 140/4

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, raise
the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken >From:
Sethracer@aol.com >To: conn110@hotmail.com, virtualvairs@corvair.org
>Subject: Re: MSD distrbutor - >Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:58:16 EST > >In
a message dated 3/14/04 8:08:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>conn110@hotmail.com writes: >Hi all, > >I was looking at an MSD catalog
wishing they (or anyone) made modern >distributors for the Corvair. Then
it hit me. They design and build MSD >stuff right here in El Paso, TX.
So, if there is enough interest out >there, I will approach MSD about
making a run of Corvair distrubutors. >Having them make just one would be
far too expensive but if we band >together and make a larger scale
purchase, we could reduce the price. > >I personally have a 140
distributor. What are the differences between >years and types? Could
they maybe design one to fit all Corvair >applications? I would like to
make it fully electronic and get rid of the >vac. advance can. Any
thoughts? > >Chris Conner >65 Monza 'vert 140/4 > >Feel free to spend
your efforts with them, Chris. To save your time, though, >talk with Mike
Sharp at MSD. Although MSD already makes an in-line six >cylinder Chevy
dist, They didn't want to build a special shaft for the Corvair
>application (That is pretty much all it would take). In addition, they
would have to >make a new distributor driven gear for the Corvair
application, because it is >against their policy to ship dist without
gears. (Unlike Mallory). I spent 18 >months working with them on this
project, even building a mock-up for the >Corvair, using one of their
6-cyl units. I had it at the Chicago Corsa Convention >in 2001 to guage
interest. They didn't want to go anywhere with the project. >I still see
Mike at the SEMA and PRI shows, I still ask, they still say no. >If you
are looking for a distributor with magnetic pulse and no vacuum >advance,
they are available. A couple of people have adapted the Chrysler
6-cylinder >reluctor and pick-up into the Corvair. I have done
approximately a dozen. The >ones I built are for racing. I toss the
vacuum advance plate, retaining only >the main plate, with the mechanical
advance still operable. There are street >kits to mount the reluctor on
the vacuum advance plate. Vacuum advance is >really the best for a
street-driven car, since the advance becomes load-sensitive, >helping
your gas mileage. I heard this past week-end that someone is >adapting-in
the GM S10 reluctor and pickup module. I haven't seen this yet, just