<VV> Pinion preload

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:26:30 -0800

Hummm.......  Maybe I'm missing something but don't you think that the
Pinion preload as designated in the shop manual is  including the drag of
the carrier bearings that were already preloaded and the drag from the gears
themselves?  It seems that if they had intended it the way you're
describing, then they would have specified to do them separately.  Seems to
me if you did the Pinion shaft by itself to what the book says, then, when
you added gear drag and side bearing preload drag you'd be way over the
turning torque for the preload on the pinion shaft as specified in the book.
The question is, how did GM do it?  The original differentials lasted a long
time so they must have done it right.  I would assume that is the proceedure
listed in the book.

Just a thought......

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4 spd,3.89,110hp
1963 Spyder (restored but no engine yet)