<VV> Was differential adjustment, now side yokes

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:03:19 EST

<snip>
Now, I think that says the posi is indeed a 65, with the smaller bolt holes.
I'm gonna be pretty hard on this thing, and I don't want to depend on any
1/4-20 bolts holding my axles together.  Agreed?

I've never been into a diff, and I don't have the time to learn.  How hard
would it be to change the yokes out, if possible?  How long will it take?
Honestly, I'm intimidated by the backlash/preload conversation.<unsnip>

1) The '65 1/4" bolts are fine, the load is carried by the yoke. (Many
Corvettes with much larger engines use the 1/4" bolts). If you want to change the
yokes out for the larger '66 style anyway, it's a very simple, external job.
Just remove the retaining bolt and it will slip out. Torque the replacement to 30
ft-lbs, bend the lock tab over a flat and you are done.

2) Four of us have been having a discussion about alternative/improved
procedures for setting-up the differential.  Unfortunately, our discussion has
caused several people some discomfort.  Don't worry about us!  The clear procedure
in the manual has worked for over 50 years, we're just polishing the apple.

Craig Nicol
66 Monza 140/4 EFI