<VV> Fan belt problems

66corsa@cox.net 66corsa@cox.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:38:42 -0500

snip----------------
I have owned my Corvair about 3 weeks and have been through as many fan belts.  They all do the same thing before they break.  The belt coming off the alt. flips on its back on the rear flange of the crank pulley.

Mark,

Sounds like the belt is too tight. It should be just tight enough that you can move the alternator/generator pulley with one finger. Not so loose you can fin the pulley, but so there is a fair amount of resistance to your effort.

When I was new to Corvairs, I had the same problem. Each time I assumed it was too loose so I tried to make it really tight. Then one day a Corvair Guru explained what was wrong and now I go years between flipped belts.

David V Clamp

1966 Corsa convertible 140/4spd w/ AC
Member: CORSA
        Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Vice President, Newsletter Editor
	Nader's Raiders

mailto:66corsa@cox.net