<VV> Fan belt problems

Shaun shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:11:30 -0800

The other thing to look for is the alternator mount. When I got my Spyder,
it had a '66 engine with an alternator, so I never gave it a second thought
until I started driving it and flipping belts at about the same rate.
The problem turned out to be the mount, it was for a generator. You can
easily tell by looking down under the alt to the two mounting bolts at the
pulley end. Alternator mounts have these bolts entering from the left side
while generators have them entering from the right.
One other thing, while the belt is off give the fan and idler both a spin.
If there's grease in them they will spin smoothly and stop after a few revs,
not freewheel.
If there's no grease they can shake, growl, and catch every so often and
that can flip the belt too.
Good luck.
yea, Vairily ... Shaun
----- Original Message -----
From: <66corsa@cox.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Cc: <markt17@fuse.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 7:38 AM
Subject: RE:<VV> Fan belt problems

> snip----------------
> I have owned my Corvair about 3 weeks and have been through as many fan
belts.  They all do the same thing before they break.  The belt coming off
the alt. flips on its back on the rear flange of the crank pulley.
> unsnip--------------
>
> Mark,
>
> Sounds like the belt is too tight. It should be just tight enough that you
can move the alternator/generator pulley with one finger. Not so loose you
can fin the pulley, but so there is a fair amount of resistance to your
effort.

> When I was new to Corvairs, I had the same problem. Each time I assumed it
was too loose so I tried to make it really tight. Then one day a Corvair
Guru explained what was wrong and now I go years between flipped belts.

> David V Clamp
>
> 1966 Corsa convertible 140/4spd w/ AC
> Member: CORSA
>         Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Vice President, Newsletter Editor
> Nader's Raiders
>
> mailto:66corsa@cox.net

---