<VV> Corvair Fanbelt Adjustment

Jon Gilbert jon.gilbert@adelphia.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:17:34 -0500

Mark Tilsey --

This is in response to your earlier post on VV regarding fanbelt problems.
I had a lot of trouble with my fanbelt when I first started too.  If it's
flipping over, there are a few things that might help:

*	Try a narrow, unwrapped belt.  Check the Clark's catalog.  You want
something that runs deep in the pulleys.
*	Make sure that the belt is tight enough, but NOT TOO TIGHT.  You
should have the idler pulley adjusted so that you can just pull the
alternator fan around with heavy friction when the car is cold.  Any looser
than that, and the belt may flip.  Any tighter than that, and you can break
the belt or worse, destroy your harmonic balancer. (I have done both.)
*	Make sure that the guides are nice and close to the belt, but not
rubbing.  They should be as close as possible.  This includes the guide on
the idler, and the guide on the fan pulley.

Good luck with it.  Hang in there -- you will figure it out.  It is a lousy
design, but you can get it to work.
Jon Gilbert
'68 Monza Convt, 95hp, PG, Yellow/Black
Jupiter, FL