<VV> update on my GRM $2004 Challenge Crownvertible

AngryCorvair@aol.com AngryCorvair@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:38:39 -0500

hi all --

well, i'm still in a long-arm cast after busting up my left wrist about 8 weeks ago, but i'm making headway on the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $2004 Challenge car.   it's a '66 monza convertible with a full Crown v8 conversion, a .030-over 327 with vortec heads, corvair 4-speed, and 3.55 gear.   i ran this car in the '03 challenge but results were less than stellar.   carb and shifter woes made the car run and drive poorly, and the handling was hampered by not having anti-roll bars on either end of the car.

since that event, i've down-sized the carb from 780 to 600, picked up about 1.5 points of compression with the vortec heads and thin gaskets, and i've just finished installing the front and rear bars.   back in october, i drove to milan (mi) dragway, made 11 passes in an hour -- best 13.88 at 100 -- and drove home.  this was leaving the starting line very gently, as i have no idea what's inside the diff as-received.

those passes were on 215/60-15 tires, which had the engine at only 4700 rpm at 100 mph through the traps.   for '04 i've got a 3.55 4-spider posi diff (assembled by Ken Hand) so i can leave harder, and i've got some 225/45-14 drag radials that will let the engine spin 5400 rpm at 100 mph.

the car is also much cleaner this year.   i've got most of the interior sheetmetal painted, as well as the firewall, rollbar, and engine compartment.   i've also got a pretty sweet graphics package worked out that will definitely win me some points in the show portion of the challenge.

you can check out the latest pics of my car at

http://community.webshots.com/album/101237984FCGOzi

the $2004 challenge takes place the first weekend in april at gainesville raceway in FL.   i'm hitting the road for the event in 15 days.   i *may* be able to drive it at the drags, but i'll have the GRM hot-shoe driving the autocross for me.  the v8vair will be sold after this event to fund the buildup of a '62 wagon (my $2006 challenge car).

patrick aka <AngryCorvair@AOL.com>