<VV> oil leaks

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:04:20 -0800

At 2207 03/16/2004 -0600, Cody White wrote:
>i have a 65 110 in my 65 monza sedan.. its a 4spd.. now i have a major oil
leak.. after we got it rebuilt it leaked a little bit of oil from both the
heads and we torqued the valve cover bolts and that didnt seem to do it..
but now i got it running and it leaked about 1/8 of a cup in a matter of
minutes.. ive been told it could be the sending unit... the major leak is
most difently coming only from the right side some where around the head..
could it be the sending unit and if so where is it? the chassis shop manual
didnt really help much..

The sending unit in question that could leak oil is the pressure snap
switch beside the fuel pump atop the engine.  Not likely to be your problem
in this instance.   You say it's on the right side of the engine...?   Only
the earlier (60-61) Vair engines had a pressure snapswitch sending unit on
the side of the crankcase, which did on occasion leak, been there done
that, but in your case (no pun) the sending unit should be on top beside
the fuel pump.

Not much else is there on the right hand side to leak oil, outside of tube
seals or valve cover gasket...  it might be a leak in the crankcase top
cover gasket, dripping oil down the side of the crankcase.   Or, in extreme
cases, there may be a crack in a casting somewhere.

The next thing to do is clean up everything thoroughly, and then start the
engine again and check closely for oil leaks to determine just where the
oil is coming from.

tony..