<VV> re: gasoline smell in oil

kovacsmk kovacsmk@Access4Less.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:40:04 -0500

 Snip..."Also, the engine oil feels a little thin and smells of
gasoline. I realize I should change the oil. What brand and grade of oil
do most of you Corvair lovers use?"....snip

 My first instinct is that you may have failed the fuel pump and it no
longer is working properly, but has allowed gasoline to leak into the
oil pan. This might explain the non start and the fuel smell. One test
is to put a very little 1/2 oz. of gasoline into the throat of each
carb, and the see if it will start for a few seconds. This will tell you
if you have a fuel starvation problem. If this is the case, you might
replace the fuel pump and change the oil. No matter what, change the
oil.

Oil brand and grade? Any brand will due and probably 10-30 or 10-40
grade. (I'm sure there are opinions on this). I use NAPA 10-30 in the
winter and 10-40 in the summer.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS