<VV> Motorcycle ATV Lift

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:59:13 -0500

I recently purchased an ATV Motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight.  I am fixing
to build the Finch type rig per Tech Topics in Communiqui and I have a few
questions for those who have used these.  I have some experience pulling
engines using the old floor jack balancing act.  All the engines that I have
pulled have had P/G Transmissions, and I have always  pulled the entire power
train, not just the engine.  Previously I have left the front wheels on the
ground and jacked up the rear of the car.  Would it be better to have the car
on 4 jackstands and level, or should the rear be higher than the front, and if
so how much higher?  Is it easier to just pull the engine than pulling the
complete drive train?  I have always had a heck of a time getting the rear
struts attached when I pull the complete unit.  If I pull the engine only, I
would not have this to confront with. (Tips on VV lately suggests lowering the
rear of the engine to connect the struts, which I have never done, so this
would probably help).

Any and all suggestions from all who have a lot more experience than I would
be appreciated. Thanks. Oh by the way, I am planning on replacing the heads,
but would like to pull the engine anyway to replace some shrouds, clean up
stuff etc.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.
65 Monza Contv. 110 P/G A/C