<VV> Motorcycle ATV Lift

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:13:57 EST

In a message dated 3/18/2004 2:01:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
emills5@cfl.rr.com writes:
recently purchased an ATV Motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight.  I am fixing
to build the Finch type rig per Tech Topics in Communiqui and I have a few
questions for those who have used these.  I have some experience pulling
engines using the old floor jack balancing act.  All the engines that I have
pulled have had P/G Transmissions, and I have always  pulled the entire power
train, not just the engine.  Previously I have left the front wheels on the
ground and jacked up the rear of the car.  Would it be better to have the car
on 4 jackstands and level, or should the rear be higher than the front, and if
so how much higher?  Is it easier to just pull the engine than pulling the
complete drive train?  I have always had a heck of a time getting the rear
struts attached when I pull the complete unit.  If I pull the engine only, I
would not have this to confront with. (Tips on VV lately suggests lowering the
rear of the engine to connect the struts, which I have never done, so this
would probably help).

When using the ATV lift  you want the engine LEVEL.......so put the car on
Jackstands.....and pull the powerpack...

To do only the engine....leave the front wheels on the ground.....lower the
engine until level...add a block ontop off the diff. to keep it pushed down
after the weight of the engine is gone...

And YES....always drop the rear of the engine down 6-8"  when re-attaching
the LCR's!

Matt Nall