<VV> How much wiggle?

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:46:22 -0500

Hi Jim,

Most late models have some play as you've described.  It's probably not
the bearings, it's the yoke moving in and out due to play in the
retaining nuts inside the diff.  This was part of the topic a couple
weeks ago which had to do with tearing down the diff and shimming up
those nuts to remove the play.  It doesn't really hurt anything to have
some play there, but it isn't good in a performance situation since the
camber will change in unexpected ways.  If you can get someone to shake
the wheel for you, you should observe the yoke moving in an out of the
diff slightly.  That's the play.

--Bryan