<VV> Re: [fastvair] Re: Warren's ex-Bill Thomas Car

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:58:33 EST

In a message dated 3/19/04 9:46:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
yenko117@intelos.net writes:

<< hy not preserve the original car and build an updated replica? I
 respect that it's Warren's car, and he can cut the top off and
 shorten it if he wants, but if this is such an important piece of
 Corvair History, won't replacing the cage, fuel cell, brake system,
 engine and oil cooler take most of the Bill Thomas and Doug Roe out
 of the car? >>

Whoa!

   An unneccessary explanation is is order. There seems to be a wide spread
misunderstanding.
   I have never cut up a historic car. Most of this has already been covered
in the Communique but here goes:
   My YS015 is still intact. I have pictures of it and the 64 spyder roadster
sitting together. There's also part of it showing in the pictures on Bryan's
site beside the Roe car.
  I did not remove a top or shorten a car. The roadster was built from
scratch from a pile of tubing and a roll of fiberglass cloth.
   I bought Mike McKeels worst 64 coupe to take molds from. I didn't cut it
up either.
  I made the mid engine roadster with a Corvair wheelbase; a FC 95"
wheelbase. It's really a formula car or sports racer underneath.
   I rescued the Thomas/ Roe car from the California desert where it had been
abandonded and pilfered from for 17 years. I bought it as a roller.
   Should I restore it to 1963 Bill Thomas Spec. or to 1969 Doug Roe specs?.
I choose to restore it to the pictures in the March 1969 Hot Rod magazine.
   It , I'm sure due to time constraints, was not restored correctly at the
Monterey Classics in 1987.  It had the carb and turbo over the engine for
example. And it didn't work!
   I intend to drive it quickly, but not rub sheet metal. That is it's
intention from the beginning. It has to have the correct safety equipment to do
that. Upon looking throught the documents, I find that the roll bars for example
was continually being updated as the rules changed. When I get through with it,
any one can buy it for what it's REALLY worth and donate it to a museum.In
the meantime, look for it as a rolling display somewhere.
   Warren