<VV> Leaking Seals & Fork/Throw-Out Bearing Questions

gary62@ix.netcom.com gary62@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:52:54 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

I have a 65 Monza coupe with 4 speed transmission.  The transaxle is leaking in tow places:

1.) At the front of the transmission where the shifter shaft comes out.
2.) At the side of the differential where the yokes are attached

Apparently the seals are bad at these two locations.  Can these seals be placed with the transaxle still in the car or is it preferred to do it with the transaxle removed?  Also, how difficult is it to replace these seals?  I looked in the manual and they really don't seem to go into much detail in how to replace these seals (especially the shifter shaft seal).  Can someone describe the proceudre briefly?

Also, I have a question on how the fork attaches to the throw-out bearing.  Do both the prongs at the top part of the fork and the lower spring-type tabs fit within the recessed part of the bearing, or do the spring-type tabs fit under the bearing with just the top prongs in the recessed area?  I hope the question makes sense.  The picture in the manual is not totally clear.

Thanks!

Gary Readore
65 Monza Convertible w/ powerglide
65 Monza Coupe w/ 4-speed