Get Bob's Book for Re: <VV> Combustion Chamber Modification

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:00:33 EST

Mike,
    Yes, definitely get Bob Helt's book, "The Classic Corvair".  On pages 84
and 85 he details just what you are looking for in his chapter 13, "Running on
Regular Gas".  Bob clearly explains (and clearly shows) how to adjust
so-called "quench" (more correctly called "squish") area to minimize detonation and
thereby allow running on lower octane fuel than the stock chamber allows.
    This is only one of the many values in this terrific book.  Great work,
Bob!
    Frank "appreciatively" Burkhard

In a message dated 3/21/04 5:12:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, pottsf@msn.com
writes:
Get your copy of Bob's book back. It's got the info you need. No, you DIDN'T
loan it to me! I've got my OWN copy (not loaned out).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Mikeamauro@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 10:21 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Combustion Chamber Modification

The Greenbrier's 110 is out for a major rebuild.  The time is ripe to
reconfigure the heads to reduce engine tendency to knock and ping.  My
version of the
Technical Manual is 1986; while it has some good info on this topic, there
must be more current information out there.  I also have Bob Helt's latest
book
(presently out on loan)...is there anything there?  My goal is to end up
with
9:1 compression ration, but burn regular or mid-grade fuel (87-89 octane);
is
this a pie- in-the-sky dream?  The vehicle is already equipped with
Safeguard
knock control system.  Also, what is the chamber CC for a 110 @ 9:1?  Any
info
available would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Mauro
64 Greenbrier, PG & A/C
(plus too many other Corvairs for my own good)