<VV> RE: '63 Brakes

Jim Corey jcorey@sonic.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:37:04 -0800

Thanks to all the responses to my question about the brakes on my '63
locking.  I had a list on had-to-do house projects, so the Vert is
sitting in the garage, top down, waiting to get repaired so she can
venture out into our great springtime weather.  Should get to the job
next weekend.  Sigh.

Jim Corey
63 Vert
64 Coupe
Both daily drivers

-----Original Message-----
From: CORSABILL@aol.com [mailto:CORSABILL@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 2:07 PM
To: jcorey@sonic.net
Subject: '63 Brakes

Jim:
EM Corvairs have only a single master cylinder, IMHO you need the
double MC.  Heres why, should you loose a rear u-joint or bearing,
then the wheel/axle runs out and you have NO brakes.  Not even parking
brake nor engine braking via downshifting. You just guide the car to the
least possible damage as this is all you can do.
A few in the club have experienced this.

HTH, Bill Loftin