<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #180 - 11 msgs

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:40:07 -0500

> From: gary62@ix.netcom.com
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Leaking Seals & Fork/Throw-Out Bearing Questions
>  I have a 65 Monza coupe with 4 speed transmission.  The transaxle is
> leaking in tow places:
>
> 1.) At the front of the transmission where the shifter shaft comes
> out.
> 2.) At the side of the differential where the yokes are attached
------------smit---------------
Smitty says:  I have never located the tow places on a transaxle.  If I
want to move one I usually use a dolly or cart.
If the shift shaft seal is original it can be pried out using the flange
provided on the seal.  If it is not original they can sometimes be pulled
with sheet metal screws screwed through the metal part of the seal and or
pried out with small screwdriver.
        Both the adjusting nut seals and the smaller yoke seals can be
replaced in location.  Pull the yokes out and pry the seals out or use a
slide hammer.  In order to change the large adjuster nut seals, care must
be taken not to screw up bearing adjustment.  If you plan on doing that,
write for more guidance.
        Both parts of the throw out fork go inside the groove together.
The fork ends and the spring steel fingers.