<VV> Listing to the left (No, it's not part of the humor thread!)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:11:00 EST

Tony's approach to determining which spring is weak is right on the money,
good advice.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the thread are the rubber
spring cushion/insulators.  Some Corvairs had them from the factory, most EM's
did not.  These are large molded "O" shaped pieces that fit the between the
spring pocket and the spring.  Factory ones are 1/4" to 1/2", aftermarket ones go
up to 1".  Short of replacing the springs, these are the correct way to
adjust ride height and are available at frame and alignment shops, "real" auto
parts stores -and  perhaps through some of our vendors. (Not to be confused with
"wedgies" or other "in-the-middle-of-the-spring" devices)

It's part my standard program is to correct the ride height using these
aftermarket spring cushions and  have probably put them on one corner or another of
dozens cars.  They have a side benefit of supposedly making the car a
weenie-bit quieter.
Now back to our regularly scheduled humor!
(no donuts were harmed in the creation of this message)
Craig Nicol
65,66,67 140/4s  2/EFI