<VV> SECC Autocross - Report

AKG hdflstf@earthlink.net
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 20:16:12 -0500

First off, for Warren - Leslie did not kill any cones today.  She did manage
to brake late and put four skidding tires into the dirt on the road course.
To make up for her not killing cones, her brother was driving Sarah's car
and did manage to find several cones on his runs.  One of these was dragged
for about half the course.  There were a couple of 'Vairs that were hungry
for cones too, even a Z06 'Vette.

Back to the Autocross...
The day started with the novice school running at the same time as the road
course, different areas though.  The road course was AWESOME!  The turns
were just right for the Corvairs as you could get the car to drift through
the corner and just steer it into the straight with the throttle - what a
blast.
The afternoon saw everyone racing on a rather narrow, tight (i.e.
challenging) course set up by Eddie Meadows.  It had tightening radius
curves and a couple of slaloms that each turn was tighter than the preceding
turn.  This was a first and second gear course although my best times were
in first only.  Me and Tony Ellison were in the modified class and our best
times were nearly identical, different by 0.004 seconds!  I would have liked
to have seen Warrens EM pocket rocket on that course.
There were a few fun runs also.  I got a ride in the Z06 'Vette - oh baby!
I only wish I could get the 440 HP to work in the 'Vair.  Also, gave a
couple of rides which I think were enjoyed as well - how can you say no to a
pretty girl..
Tomorrow will be a different course which will be 'faster' (more upshifts).
Another report will follow.  Also, picture will be going up on the SECC
website as time allows.

The Artful Dodger