<VV> Re: High Speed Miss

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:45:59 -0500

I agree with Smitty (he's almost always right except for that "early" fixation!) that you should look towards
your ignition. I'm still new to forced induction Corvairs, but my Audi experience has shown me that a turbo
under full boost (as your should be at 90mph) can be very ignition sensitive.

I love Bosch Super plugs in a Corvair, but my experience with myAudi ur-quattro was that Bosch platinums
(W7DP)  would not run under boost at all, Bosch Supers (W7DC) was passable, but only lasted about
6000 miles (plug would look 100% fine, but misfire), the triple electrode (W7DTC) had the best
performance but would also only last about 6000 miles, and that the Bosch Platins (large solid plat center
electrode... $25 a plug) would last upwards of 20k... but at a slight performance hit over the DTC's...

So running unde boost can be very ignition taxing. I recommend a good quality cap and rotor (I use The
Source), an Ignitor and Flame thrower coil (or equivalent), good quality wires (I use Seth's), and at least a
Bosch Super plug (refreshed every 6000 miles)... only after all this is in order should you look elsewhere...

As my buddies in the LBC world say, "99% of SU problems are Lucas electrics".

Bill Elliott