<VV> LM Rear Bearings (long)

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:01:30 -0500

I have apart a set of rear bearings removed from a 66 parts car.  The machine
shop that broke them apart was unable to use his press for some reason, but
was able to get them apart with a very large puller. (Obviously larger than
what I tried to use).  Although I am sure it has been covered previously,
please refresh my memory with any tips on repacking them.  Neither of the
units seemed to have had any play in them before pulling them apart, but I
find that neither have any type of shims in them as listed in Clark's, only
the long spacer and a thick washer (spacer?).  All of the bearings seem to be
in very good shape, since I feel sure neither had ever been apart before. How
do you get the inner most bearing off of the spindle to pack it.  Please
suggest what to pack them with, and how much.  I don't feel that the cavity
needs to be full, since it was not when I took them apart.  I don't see any
need in putting in grease fittings since these have already lasted a lot
longer than I will ever run them. (I'm a lot older than these bearings.)  Any
and all tips appreciated. Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.