<VV> Ignition and Electrical Questions

Anil Mittal anil@anil.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:35:34 -0500

Hello All,

	I have been out of the Corvair loop for about 2 years now.  Changing
jobs, moving coast to coast, buying a house and fixing it  up has
kept my Corvair under cover in the garage for too long now.  But
finally I see the light at the end of the tunnel, the house  projects
are almost done, the last snow has fallen (I hope) and the  weather
is warming up. Time to get the Corvair back on the road. My  car is a
66 Monza Cvt with a 140 engine and a PG trans. I have two  questions
for the group:

QUESTION 1:

Backround:

My car has a Dale built distributor which is the correct one for
this Trans/engine combination. The distributor has a Dale HEI
ignition. Yeah I know it is overkill for this application but while
I was working on the distributor/ignition I wanted to replace
everything. The coil which is on the car now says Fire Ball on it.
The distributor cap and rotor are fairly new and show no wear. The
plug wires are from Seth and are in good shape. When I installed  the
electronic ignition I bypasses the resistor wire in the harness  so
that the coil and ignition get a full 12V.

Problem:

The car starts fine, idles fine, has great power and throttle
response. After I drive it for a number of miles (20 to 30) the car
just quits. If I let it cool down for about 10 minutes it starts up
fine and all is good till it warms up again and the sit and cool
cycle starts again. I don't think this is vapor lock since I can  see
a stream of gas from the accelerator pumps even when the car  does
not want to start. Would this indicate a bad coil? I do not  know the
age of the coil. Should I have not run 12V to the coil and  ignition?

QUESTION 2:

Backround:

I have worked on just about every system of this car less the
electrical system and the AC system. I have been hanging new
electrical loads off of the almost 40 year old electrical system  and
I think it is now time to rewire/upgrade the electrical system.  I
have the following non stock electrical items: 70 Amp internally
regulated alternator, power windows, power door locks, anti theft
system with remote door un/locking, AM/FM/CD Changer with XM radio,
multiple speakers driven by a decent wattage 4 channel amp.

Problem:

I ordered all of the wiring harnesses from www.wiringharness.com
other than the main fuse block harness. The reason I did not order
this one is because I would like to install a more modern blade  type
fuse panel with more fuses for all of the electrical doo dads.  I
would also like to move the fuse panel to the trunk. I have been
trying to do some research on aftermarket fuse panels and am  leaning
towards a unit by American Autowire called the PowerPlus16
(http://www.americanautowire.com/products/PP16.htm). Has anyone out
there used an aftermarket fuse panel for their car? If so which one
did you use and why? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly
appreciated.