<VV> Rear Tire Wear

Terrence Gartland gartland@sympatico.ca
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:37:53 -0500

Hello all in Corvair land! After another cold Canadian winter, time to fire up
the 'Vair for another season. Before last season I installed 4 new radials,
size 175-80-R13. I ran them with 32 pounds rear and 27 pounds front. The
problem is this: I only put about 2000 miles on the car all of last summer,
but the outside edges of the tire to about an inch and a half towards the
centre of the tire is worn right to the wear bars on both rear tires. The
fronts are fine. Now, granted, these were cheap tires, but I'm sure there is a
little more going on here. Is it a rear alignment issue? And if so, can a
modern alignment shop do this? I have the Chassis Shop Manual with the specs
and procedure. Next question! Last year I added "Lead Substitute" to every
third tank of gas. Is this required, or will it hurt the car by adding it as I
have? And last but not least, I also used 15W40 last year, but considering
using 20W50 this year as my oil of choice. Is there any problems doing this?
Thanks a bunch gang for your answers in advance.

Terry Gartland
'65 Canadian Monza Coupe
110 PG, Madeira Maroon
18 000 miles