<VV> Rear Tire Wear

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:53:17 -0600

Understand that you are getting opinions from me.  Others will probably
differ - at lest somewhat.  Answers below... in your text.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR

'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terrence Gartland" <gartland@sympatico.ca>

> Hello all in Corvair land! After another cold Canadian winter, time to
fire up
> the 'Vair for another season. Before last season I installed 4 new
radials,
> size 175-80-R13. I ran them with 32 pounds rear and 27 pounds front.

I run 32 rear an 24 front.  Original specs called for a 10lb difference, but
I'm not comfortable with only 22 lbs up front.  Plus, I carry some weight in
the trunk most of the time.

 The
> problem is this: I only put about 2000 miles on the car all of last
summer,
> but the outside edges of the tire to about an inch and a half towards the
> centre of the tire is worn right to the wear bars on both rear tires. The
> fronts are fine. Now, granted, these were cheap tires, but I'm sure there
is a
> little more going on here. Is it a rear alignment issue?

You should get a 4 wheel alignment, all at once.

 And if so, can a
> modern alignment shop do this?

Yes, but loosen everything (and replace worn parts) before you bring it in
and be there to supervise

I have the Chassis Shop Manual with the specs
> and procedure. Next question! Last year I added "Lead Substitute" to every
> third tank of gas.

Forget about it!  Our engines have hardened seats and don't need lead to
soften the blow.

 Is this required, or will it hurt the car by adding it as I
> have?

Probably won't hurt anything, but an unneeded expense.

 And last but not least, I also used 15W40 last year, but considering
> using 20W50 this year as my oil of choice. Is there any problems doing
this?

Sounds a bit thick for a (relatively) cool climate is this is regular dead
dinos.  Is this an oil burner (lots of bypass boooge)?  Then I guess you
need the thicker oil.

But, if it is a tight engine, I'd be thinking in terms of SYNTHETIC 15/50.