<VV> Rear Tire Wear

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:47:36 EST

In a message dated 3/31/04 2:30:32 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
gartland@sympatico.ca writes:

> Now, granted, these were cheap tires, but I'm sure there is a
> little more going on here. Is it a rear alignment issue? And if so, can a
> modern alignment shop do this?

Terry,
Take your car to a large parking lot that has no other cars within at least a
50 foot radius. then, park your car, and walk about 20 to 30 feet away. Get
down on your knees and carefully look at your tires. Lie down if you have to.
They should all be straight up and down. No slanting tires if yours is stock.
Maybe just a little, very little slant where the bottoms are closer together
than the tops of the tires. Now line up the LF tire with the LR. They should be
parallel with no apparent differences. That is except for a slight increase in
the rear toe-in over the fronts. Do this from front to back, and back to
front. Then do the other side the same way.

With a little practice and careful ovservation, you should be able to SEE any
misalignment. Works for me anyhow.
Regards,
Bob Helt