<VV> weired problem #?

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sat, 08 May 2004 12:21:31 -0700

Hi everyone,
I tend to agree with JR on this one.  It seems the issue could be either
electrical or mechanical.  Here is where I like to take a DVM, cheap at
Harbor Freight for $5, but the leads tend to break after a short time and I
need to replace them for another $5 at Radio Shack.  So maybe getting a
better one is better for the long run.  I would vote on the battery or
starter wiring or maybe the starter itself rather than a mechanical
problem.  You can measure the battery terminals NOT the connectors and see
if the battery holds over 10 volts while cranking.  Then measure the large
terminal on the starter to ground right by the starter, again, not the
connector at the starter.  See if you have at least 9 volts at this
location.  A loose connection at the ground or battery terminals could be
the issue.  If you have over 10 volts at the battery and more than a volt
or two drop getting to the starter then check the voltage drops between the
connectors and the terminals.  You might be surprised that there is a volt
or more between a terminal and it's connector, even though they are bolted
together.  The DVM provides good measurement for less than a volt and can
check these connections.  These connections should have less than 0.2 volts
when cranking.  Clean each of them and then lube with grease or something
to prevent corrosion.  Having the starter checked at a FLAPS along with the
battery is certainly a very good starting point and can be pretty quick to
fault isolate to electrical versus mechanical issues.

Removing the spark plugs and seeing if the starter really runs fast is
another approach, but is not a definitive fault isolation technique.  Just
more information.

HTH,

Larry