<VV> throwout bearing follow up

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 16:13:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2004 6:36:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
slmizel@juno.com writes:
My
clutch cable snapped on me about two miles from my house yesterday.  I
had to drive the remaining two miles in second gear through stop signs
and lights...had to cut through one parking lot and almost took out a
pedestrian!  She was walking slowly and I couldn't bog the engine any
slower!  I am sure she thought I was an impatient rude driver...but I
wasn't going to the let the car die that close to home!

All manual transmission Corvair owners should practice, at least once or
twice, driving without a clutch cable, i.e. without a clutch. It is something that
can be hard on various systems on the car, notably the starter and the
transmission, but it is possible to drive it even in traffic. Not easy, but
possible. It is best not to learn late at night when you have to get home, etc.
Driving without the clutch is based on two separate activities, starting the car in
gear (thus the pain for the starter) and shifting using
"match-the-gear-speeds-in-the-trans" methods Thank heavens for synchros! If you are stuck without a
cable and really need to get home, you can do it. First, start the car up in
neutral and let it warm up. (Turbos are so prone to hot-start problems that I
wouldn't necessarily warm up a turbo) once the engine is warm, it is more
likely to start easily - as in first gear! Aim the car the way you want to go, put
the car in first, and start the motor - the car will start moving along with
it. Stay alert, because you may have to turn the ignition off to stop the car
at any point. When you hit a comfortable speed in first and want to shift to
second, feather the throttle and pull the trans into neutral, let the RPMs drop
a bit, and slide (shove) it into second. Repeat for third/fourth. The final
trick is pulling up to a light or stop sign, as you will invariably find several
on the way home (Arrgh!). As you coast up to the light, feather the throttle
and pull the trans back into neutral. Don't let the engine compression be
slowing you down at this point, the trans won't like being moved into neutral
under any load. Just coast up to the light/stop sign and turn off the motor. Put
the trans into first and wait for the green light!
Repeat as needed to get home! Again, trying this out with no traffic and
plenty of room for mistakes is the best idea. - Seth Emerson (rescuer of wife when
clutch cables have failed)