<VV> "Brake" Failures

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 16:29:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2004 7:47:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, tonyu@roava.net
writes:

Uh...  your preferences for lates is showing.   The early cars have no yoke
retaining bolts.   They rely upon the bearing press fit for to retain the
axle.

Page 123 of the Clarks catalog (2002-2006 Main catalog) shows part number
C1298 for 60-64 cars and 61-65 Vans and a Grade 8 bolt to do just that. Item
number 5 in the exploded view. I could be wrong. This does retain the yoke onto
the axle, not the axle to the car. I do admit, the loss of this bolt alone would
not allow the axle to "depart". It would take bearing failure at the outer
bearing fit, due to heat and/or other problems to allow it. And Tony, if
everybody made the concerted effort to maintain their cars like you do, I am sure we
would have few rear axle bearing failures, if any. - Seth