<VV> "Brake" Failures

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 10 May 2004 12:57:47 -0700

At 1629 05/08/2004 -0400, Sethracer@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/8/2004 7:47:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tonyu@roava.net
>writes:
>
>Uh...  your preferences for lates is showing.   The early cars have no yoke
>retaining bolts.   They rely upon the bearing press fit for to retain the
>axle.
>
>Page 123 of the Clarks catalog (2002-2006 Main catalog) shows part number
>C1298 for 60-64 cars and 61-65 Vans and a Grade 8 bolt to do just that. Item
>number 5 in the exploded view. I could be wrong. This does retain the yoke
onto
>the axle, not the axle to the car. I do admit, the loss of this bolt alone
would
>not allow the axle to "depart". It would take bearing failure at the outer
>bearing fit, due to heat and/or other problems to allow it.

As mentioned in the other message, I thought you were talking about the
differential yoke and not the axle yoke which *is* retained by a bolt.   The
differential yoke is retained by diddly, just slides in and out.

>And Tony, if
>everybody made the concerted effort to maintain their cars like you do,

...if you saw my '60 4-door you'd think twice about saying that...

>I am sure we
>would have few rear axle bearing failures, if any. - Seth

Now ya done it...!

Now I have to actually go and do some maintenance work on something so as to
live up to your statement...    ;)

tony..    spent two days playing "musical cars" moving a bunch of project
'Vairs back and forth and into shelter/barn/garage etc