<VV> Oil Pump

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 22:25:47 +0000

When I did my '64 I used feeler gages and a steel scale straightedge to
check:
- Idler gear shaft end to gasket surface (no gasket) (shaft should end
.010-.020" below surface)
- Face of gears above metal gasket surface - should stick up .0025-.0045"
- Clearance between gears and inside "diameter" of housing - should be
.002-.005"
- Gear backlash (feeler gage between the the teeth of one gear and the
other) - .002-.008"

When I was all done, I assembled the whole thing with the gasket and
Plastigage on the face of the gear (so it would be squished between the gear
face and pump cover), torqued everything down then disassembled to measure
the Plastigage.  Mine measured .002".  I don't know what the correct spec is
for that measurement, but I do know the oil pressure has been good enough to
keep the light off, and not destroy the engine yet at about 70,000 miles
after rebuild (1964 Spyder).

Good luck and if I confused you with the way I explained something, ask
questions!

-- Doug Mackintosh
   Corsa member since 1996
   Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
   Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on

Cecil Mills Wrote:
<<Can someone enlighten me on the proper way to set up the proper clearances
on
the oil pump. ...SNIP>>