<VV> Clutch Problems with 4 Speed Conversion part II

* Greenbrier Goon * greenbriergoon@hotmail.com
Sun, 16 May 2004 23:51:27 +0000

Hey everyone:

Well, I have been trying to solve the problem of the clutch not completely
releasing when I step on the pedal.

I flipped the stop on the pedal as someone suggested.  Then I adjusted the
calbe as tight as it would go.  I could then start the engine and shift into
all of the gears.  I drove up and down the street to make sure all 4 gears
worked.

The problem is that the throwout bearing is riding on the pressure plate.
Stepping on the clutch pedal just does not pull the cable enough to fully
release the clutch AND leave any room between the T/O bearing and the
pressure plate when it is engaged.

Someone suggested making the pedal longer, but that seems like a last thing
to try.

Another problem that I discovered is that the floor is flexing as I shift.
It is a floor mounted shifter and there is supposed to be some extra
reinforcement on the floors of the 3 and 4 speed vans.  The FC that I
removed most of the parts from to do the conversion has alresdy been cut up
and discarded so it looks like I will have to make my own floor
reinforcement.

This conversion from PG to 4 speed is really getting to be a pain.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CLICK "REPLY ALL" BECAUSE I DON'T SEEM TO BE GETTING ALL
OF MY MESSAGES FROM THE LISTS.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)

Don't let Ralph Nader ruin another Presidential election.
http://www.ralphdontrun.net