MPG Re: <VV> Don't buy gas on May 19th, 2004

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 13:22:40 EDT

Rich,
    Well, if you ran the stock 180 YH at significant elevations it ran rich
since the carb jetting can't take into account the "thinner" (less dense than
at sea level) air.  This could be one reason for your low mileage on the trip
home.  My distributor timing was set up for the stock 24 degrees BTDC (at idle)
WITHOUT taking into account any effect of vacuum advance.  So the vacuum
advance ADDS to the 24 degrees when it comes into play at speeds above idle.  With
high octane gas and only 8:1 compression, the 180 handled that much advance
just fine.  I used an electronic knock sensor to electronically retard the
stock timing when it "heard" pinging/knocking.  I'd suggest you check to see just
what timing you have under low to moderate throttle settings.
    Regards,
    Frank Burkhard